It's Earth Month! You might not know, but you can help our planet just by eating!
Check out some tips below to help become a smarter eater, shopper, and an earth saver!
BEFORE YOU SHOP
BEFORE YOU SIT DOWN TO EAT
- Buy foods that you'll actually eat.
- Plan your meals.
- Use Grocery Lists.
- Avoid Impulse Buying.
- Stick to a shopping routine
- Have a reward in mind. When you stick to your list, reward yourself with one or two products.
BEFORE YOU STORE YOUR FOOD
- Plan to use whatever will expire the soonest, first to avoid food waste. Check those expiration dates!
- When dishing out, try using smaller plates as this can help you stick to better portion sizes, and will inevitably reduce the amount of food that you waste.
- If you have any leftovers, freeze or repurpose them! Check out some of these great ideas!
- Get a few food-safe storage bags or containers to correctly save your delicious meals from bacteria, frostbite, mold, etc.
- Package according to portions and incorporate them into your week for lunch, snacks, dinner, etc.
- Paying attention to where you store your food can assist in prolonging the life of those gorgeous apples, or delicious lasagna, click here to find out how.
Track what you throw away. Was it a lot? Was it a little? Did you like it? Asking yourself these questions and keeping a diary can really help you save time, money, and space in your fridge when it’s time for your next shop.
With that being said, take a little tour around refrigeratorville before you even think of stepping out of that house! Here’s a list of a few apps and sites to keep you on track when meal prepping!
And always remember, reducing food waste:
- Saves money
- Reduces methane emissions from landfills lowering our carbon footprint
- Conserves energy and resources
- Prevents pollution involved in growing, manufacturing, transporting & selling food